No parasites in leeches?

Mark Siddall mes at
Wed Apr 20 18:46:51 EST 1994

In article <2p2hnu$2il at> jfgzo at (James F Gilliam) writes:
>Actually, I mean 'no pathogens transmitted to humans by leeches?,' but
>that was too long.
>I once read in an airline magazine that no leech is known to act as a
>vector for a human disease.  Is this true?  Are any leeches vectors for
>pathogens for other species?

Answers respectively are: yes and yes

Try: Sawyer, R.T.  1986 Leech Biology and Behaviour.  4 volumes

Mark Siddall             The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
Department of Zoology       - it is the _illusion_ of knowledge.
University of Toronto                             D. J. Boorstein
mes at