No parasites in leeches?

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Apr 24 10:38:50 EST 1994

In article <1994Apr23.122743.1 at topaz> fergusma at topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:

>I don't know about human parasites, but I pulled some leeches off Krefft's
>turtle (Emydura kreffti) the other day, and after a few hours some third stage
>larval nematodes emerged from the leeches, I haven't been able to I.D. them
>yet.

You'll find that these are some kind of rhabditid  parasite of freshwater
soft-bodied inverts and has nothing to do with the turtle.  I have found
them a number of times in Placobdella ornata, even once to the extent that
a large blister was apparent in the leech's tegument.  Never ID'd them
too far, don't know how.

Mark
--
Mark Siddall             The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
Department of Zoology       - it is the _illusion_ of knowledge.
mes at zoo.toronto.edu