Anti-Parasitic Drug??

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Fri Apr 29 11:46:48 EST 1994

In Article <2ppkd7$otn at netserv.unmc.edu>
dnickol at netserv.unmc.edu (The MacMeister) writes:
>Kin Chong (khc12 at cus.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
> I am interested in a drug to counter river blindness,
>: also known as onchocerciasis (or filariasis).

>: Could anyone please tell me the symptoms, the duration of treatment,
>: and prevention? [stuff deleted]
 For all those wondering, my dad is going to Sierra Leone,
>: West Africa. Many thanks in advance for the help.

And then........
>Devin Nickol (dnickol at netserv.unmc.edu) wrote:
>
>The nematode Onchocerca volvulus causes river blindness. (aka
>Onchocerciasis). Dermatitis is another significant sequella.
>Blackflies of the Simulum species are the vector for humans.
[ stuff deleted] Subsequent blackfly bites pick up the
>larvae from an infected host and can then transfer them to
>non-infected individuals.  [more stuff deleted]

>There is no drug that has been shown to prevent infection with O.
>volvulus. (liberally condensed from Harrison's)

The epidemiology of Onchocercaisis indicates that prevalance increases with
age, i.e. the longer you live in an endemic area, the more opportunities you
have to become infected.  You might advise your father to wear long pants,
long sleeve shirts etc. Also a bug repellent containing DEET will also be
helpful in discouraging fly bites.  I believe most repellents contain DEET
these days, but I always had good luck with Muskol, don't recall the
manufacturer. You can probably find it in a sporting goods store, assuming
fisherman use bug repellent in the UK.  I might also add prevealnce changes
depending on location. Its possible that your father will be visiting an
area of low prevalence, in which case the probability of infection is even
lower.

	A related question for someone out there who knows........
Why are'nt Canine Heartworm prophalactic regimens efficacious in preventing
the maturation of L3 larvae in the DH ?  Seems like I may have seen a paper
on this in Trop Med several years ago, but I don't recall the details. Perhaps
someone from MSD following this discussion would be willing to contribute.
Thanks in advance!!!!

CT Faulkner, Univ of TN, Knoxville