mosquitoes

KWBLAN00 at ukcc.uky.edu KWBLAN00 at ukcc.uky.edu
Thu Aug 18 16:20:10 EST 1994

In article <shelvey.12.000A98C6 at uk.co.pcr.snd01>
shelvey at uk.co.pcr.snd01 (Rob Shelvey) writes:

>Does anybody out there know why some people get bitten by mosquitoes alot more
>than other people.  I got bitten over 50 times in one night yet my girlfriend
>didn't get bitten once.  Is there some natural repellents the body gives off ?
>What are the best repllents to use against these pests?  Any info greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rob Shelvey  ( SHELVEY at UK.CO.PCR.SND01 )

Dear Rob,
      You are not the first to observe this.  There is presently research
being performed to attempt to identify what component of the human
sweat or odor is the atractant or repellent.  I have not read anything that
indicates exactly what the componets are associated with.  All I can sugest
is to use a repellentwith upto 30% DEET.  It is the bestking repellent
known.
                                             Kenneth W. Blank
                                             University of Kentucky
                                             Department of Entomology