Level of Taenia solium in States

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Sat Feb 26 11:30:37 EST 1994

Parasitologists,
	I know pork tapeworm is a big problem in South America and
elsewhere, but seem to get the impression that it VERY rarely occurs in
the US.  Is that right.  My Ag colleague could find almost no mention of
it in his animal science books and none of my zoology students from pig
farms (a number) ever heard of it. My parasitology text (Schmidt and
Roberts [4th ed.]) gave no indication of how often it is found in US
pigs.

	Am I right that because of USDA inspection it is almost non-existent
in pigs in the US?
Thanks again.
James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250