malarial synchrony

Dr BM Cooke bmcooke at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Fri Jul 15 03:05:20 EST 1994

 Tom Leet wrote:

I'm just wondering if anyone had any idea how or why some malarial
 (P. vivax, etc.) establish synchronous growth during erythrocytic
schizogeny?  P. falciparum does not, which either makes it special or
absolutely uninteresting (and also makes my research more difficult) - so
 what's the story?
Somewhere in here there's a good project...

Your question is not entirely clear to me Tom, but I think that you may
have got your facts a little confused.  Why do you say that P. falciparum
does not exhibit synchronous growth?

Moreover, I would hardly describe P. falciparum (the causes one of the
major killing diseases of humans, possibly because of its ability to
alter the adhesive properties of the parasitised red cell) "uninteresting"

By the way, what are your research interests Tom?