chiggers

Bruce L. Lambert bruce at ludwig.pmad.uic.edu
Thu Jul 21 08:34:18 EST 1994

Hello people,

While fishing last weekend I hiked through some tall grass and got a
wicked case of chigger bites. The chigger (or chigoe), as far as I can
tell, is a tropical flea, Tunga penetrans, whose fertile female burrows
under the skin.

There are lots of home remedies for chigger bites, the most common being
clear nail polish over the bite to suffocate the little beasts. Others
include using Kwell, a prescription strength topical antiparasitic cream
or lotion (gamma benzene hexachloride also known as Lindane).

You guys are the experts. Can you tell me about chiggers? What is their
life cycle? How can they be gotten rid of, etc. Any and all info would be
helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce L. Lambert, Ph.D.
University of Illinois at Chicago