Brugia genome

T. V. Rajan, M.D., Ph.D. rajan at neuron.uchc.edu
Thu Jun 23 07:10:09 EST 1994

In article <CrK39q.1M9I at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU>
dknudson at ops.agsci.colostate.edu (Dennis Knudson) writes:

> Are there any reports on the genome size of Brugia malayi?  Have done
> quick literature search, but nothing came of it.

     I am not sure that any of the estimates of B. malayi genome size
have been published in the primary literature.  My graduate student
Neil Rothstein and I determined the single copy genome size to be 10(8)
bp.  There is, in addition, repetitive DNA that is probably about 10(7)
bp more (I am less certain of these data).  We never published this but
I think I mentioned the fact in a review I wrote in Experimental
Parasitology a couple of years ago.  Larry McReynolds and colleagues
from the New England Biolabs independently (and by a different method)
came up with pretty much the same complexity estimate.

T. V. Rajan, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor and Chairman, Department of Pathology
University of Connecticut Health Center
Farmington, CT 06030.