Signal sequence consensus features

Wed Mar 9 15:32:09 EST 1994

In message :   <2lfeli$otn at> TV  Rajan asks for
information on signal sequence prediction.

I've been able to find the following programs that can be
downloaded via ftp. They claim to predict the location of
possible signal sequences (I've not used them myself).

Macintosh:  analyze-signalase.hqx which is available from (IUBio Archive) and signalase.hqx and
PLOTA_SIG.HQX available from EMBL MAC archive

PC: The Antheprot package from the WelchLab gopher hole
(Johns Hopkins) and sigseq$.exe available from EMBL DOS archive

I'm sure there are other programs and other sources for the above.

Alternatively you could contact the 'guru' of signal sequences -

Dr. Gunnar von Heijne,
Center for Structural Biochemistry, NOVUM,
S-141 57 Huddinge, Sweden.

Phone: Int+46-8-608 91 31
Fax: Int+46-8-774 55 38
E-mail: gvh at

I'm not sure that arsmith at lamar.ColoState.EDU knew what you were
asking for...

C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases,
National Institutes of Health,