Signal sequence consensus features

Robert C. Colgrove robin at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:48:31 EST 1994

CGE at CU.NIH.GOV writes:

>In message :   <2lfeli$otn at threed.uchc.edu> TV  Rajan asks for
>information on signal sequence prediction.
>I've been able to find the following programs that can be
>downloaded via ftp. They claim to predict the location of
>possible signal sequences (I've not used them myself).
>Macintosh:  analyze-signalase.hqx which is available from
>ftp.bio.indiana.edu (IUBio Archive) and signalase.hqx and
>PLOTA_SIG.HQX available from EMBL MAC archive
>PC: The Antheprot package from the WelchLab gopher hole
>(Johns Hopkins) and sigseq$.exe available from EMBL DOS archive
>I'm sure there are other programs and other sources for the above.
>Alternatively you could contact the 'guru' of signal sequences -
>Dr. Gunnar von Heijne,
>Center for Structural Biochemistry, NOVUM,
>S-141 57 Huddinge, Sweden.
>Phone: Int+46-8-608 91 31
>Fax: Int+46-8-774 55 38
>E-mail: gvh at csb.ki.se

When the von Heijne alogorithm was first published,  wrote a C program
to implement it and some  UNIX shell scripts to do graphic plots.
This program, signal.c, is archived all over the place or
you can get it from me. Distribute freely; just cite me if you use it.
-robin

robin colgrove
division of infectious diseases
harvard school of medicine