Elsevier and affordability of Journals

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Fri Mar 18 18:02:01 EST 1994

In post of March 18 Graham Clark said.

> Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology is published by
> Elsevier and has been around since 1980. It has the
> highest citation rate of any primary parasitology journal.
> Many libraries do not carry it because it is very expensive.
> However, members of various parasitological societies are
> eligible for personal subscriptions at US$194 a year (this is
> about 10% of the institutional price!).

	I find it very interesting that Elsevier has managed to corner the
market on the best publication in another area and get away with
charging libraries very high rates.  The same thing happens in my area
of paleoecology.  Again the journals I have to read, Review of
Paleobotany and Palynology and International Journal of Coal Biology are
not affordable unless you are a major University.  It means I have to
wait till the summer and go to Minneapolis or some other major library.
Somehow dissemination of information is hindered.  I am all for free
business, but wish it was a society publish a journal at under $130.
$2,000 for a journal is a bit too much.

	Sorry about growling but I think the cost of some of these journals
is a problem especially for institutions with limits on their budgets
and less deep pockets. .

James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250