Follow up to Test

daj (David Johnston) daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 03:16:40 EST 1994

Thanks to all who responded to my "is there anyone out there yet" question
the other day. Obviously my message reached the newsgroup OK. However, I've
yet to see any actual mailings to the newsgroup, despite confirmation from
Bionet Admin in UK that I have been subscribed to the list.

Could I therefore, please ask a favour of anyone posting in the next day
or so. Could they please mail a copy of their posting direct to so
I know something has been posted. If I therefore only see one copy, I know
there are problems (I receive mail from all my other Bionet newsgroups
OK).

For the record:
The Experimental Taxonomy Unit at the NHM works more or less exclusively on
Schistosoma and their snail hosts; taxonomy, speciation, host-parasite
interactions, host defense mechanisms (snail), parasite-parasite
interactions, species hybridisation, genetic diversity, epidemiology,
molecular systematics etc.. We use a wide variety of techniques; DNA
probes, DNA sequencingy, RFLPs, PCR, RAPDs, DNA cloning, isoenzyme
analysis, good old morphology (why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut?
) you name it, we try it! We also dabble in Dicrocoelium, digenea from
marine fishes, other schistosomes etc. Personnally, I'm on the molecular
side of things (Wellcome Trust Fellow in Taxonomy/Systematics Research).
Cheers,
DAJ

David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)