Strongyloides & Fatal Malpractice
beachsg at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 15:15:01 EST 1994
A patient with disseminated strongyloidiasis was treated with the wrong
medication. The patient died. This incident occurred at the Mount Sinai
Medical Center in New York City and was reported by Susan Morgello, et al., in
an article titled "Central nervous system Strongyloides stercoralis in acquired
immunodeficiency syndrome: a report of two cases and review of the literature,"
_Acta Neuropathologica_ (1993) 86:285-288.
The patient was treated with pyrantel pamoate, which is not effective against
Strongyloides stercoralis. See _Drug Evaluations_, 1991 edition, page 1556,
published by the American Medical Association. In contrast, pyrvinium pamoate
is effective against Strongyloides stercoralis. See "Strongyloidiasis treated
with Pyrvinium Pamoate," _Journal of the American Medical Association_, volume
193, number 10, September 6, 1965.
More information about the Parasite