Exam questions

Peter W Pappas ppappas at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed May 11 10:30:38 EST 1994

In article <2qqgt9$5r2 at threed.uchc.edu>,
T. V. Rajan, M.D., Ph.D. <rajan at neuron.uchc.edu> wrote:
>  I teach parasitology to medical students and one of the most
>difficult tasks is to set new multiple choice questions each year.  I
>wonder whether all of us who read this board should establish a
>compilation of exam questions that we can access and use.
>
>T. V. Rajan, M.D., Ph.D.
>Professor and Chairman, Department of Pathology
>University of Connecticut Health Center
>Farmington, CT 06030.

Having taught parasitology to pre-professional (both pre-med and pre-vet) and
advanced undergraduates for >20 years, I understand the problem of generating
new multiple choice questions each year (term).  There is, however, an easy
solution to this problem, namely DON'T ask multiple choice questions -- use
essay questions (or short answer questions).  This solution has a secondary
benefit; if the questions are written well, the students actually have to
"think" about the answer and may have to "integrate" facts.  Such tests are
more difficult and time-consuming to grade, but isn't that what we get paid for
(just like making questions for our own examinations)?
--
Peter W. Pappas, Professor/Chairperson, Department of Zoology,
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH  43210  USA