internal structures of giardia

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Wed Nov 2 03:29:12 EST 1994

In Article <mbernhar-0111942104580001 at f180-082.net.wisc.edu>
mbernhar at facstaff.wisc.edu (mat bernhardt) writes:
>greetings!
>
>could someone please name all the possible internal structures of g.
>lamblia that can be visualized using direct interference contrast (dic)
>microscopy?  please include a brief description of each structure (what it
>looks like etc.)

	Is this a quiz ?  Off the top of my head..... flagellar bundle
(several folded strands of flagellum running longitudinally and
bisecting the cyst), parabasal bodies (2, comma-shaped features oriented
transverse to the flagella, nuclei (either 4 or 2, usually, depending
on the developmental stage of the cyst).  Some say an axoneme is visable
but I've never seen it.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   When you don't know where you're
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   going any road will take you there.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                            Alice