internal structures of giardia

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Nov 3 09:15:12 EST 1994

In article <398i9a$p84 at martha.utk.edu> ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu writes:
>	Is this a quiz ?  Off the top of my head..... flagellar bundle
>(several folded strands of flagellum running longitudinally and
>bisecting the cyst), parabasal bodies (2, comma-shaped features oriented
>transverse to the flagella, nuclei (either 4 or 2, usually, depending
>on the developmental stage of the cyst).  Some say an axoneme is visable
>but I've never seen it.

Careful...
The bodies are "median bodies" not "parabasal bodies".  The former are incom-
pletely formed microtubular sheets, the latter are golgi apparati in
trichomonads.  Also, the shape of the median bodies in Giardia varies
depending on the species.  Comma-shaped for G. lamblia, other shapes for
G. muris etc.
There is no axoneme in Giardia or other diplomonads.  This too is a tricho-
monad feature.

What you can expect to see depends on whether you're looking at trophs
or cysts.
In trophs: teardrop-shped organism with two nuclei at the fat end of the drop.
Two flagella draped over the fat end and trailing off the sides plus two
other pairs of flagella comingfrom the center out at about 3/4 the way
down the sides to the point of the drop plus another pair coming off the
end of the point.  The latter have a sinusoidal shape.

The fat part of the drop should appear to have a rigid circle making it's
shape.  This is the "adhesive" disk made up by a sheet of microtubules.

The median bodies may not be obvious by DIC.  I believe they are usually seen
in stained preps.

The cyst:
Rugby-ball shaped.  If mature, will have 4 nuclei clustered at one end
of the cyst and will appear to have a slightly "S" shaped partition down the
long axis.  The partition is somewhat fribrilar in appearance.
The reason for the appearance is that following encystation, the organism
divides bilaterally and the microtubular structures and flagellar
apparati are agregated near the central plane of the cyst.

An atlas of human parasitology should provide suitable figures.  As will
almost any intro parasitology text worth it's weight.

Happy hunting!

Mark

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062