internal structures of giardia

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Wed Nov 2 22:40:11 EST 1994

In Article <398i9a$p84 at martha.utk.edu>
ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu writes:

>	Is this a quiz ?  Off the top of my head..... flagellar bundle
>(several folded strands of flagellum running longitudinally and
>bisecting the cyst), parabasal bodies (2, comma-shaped features oriented
>transverse to the flagella, nuclei (either 4 or 2, usually, depending
>on the developmental stage of the cyst).  Some say an axoneme is visable
>but I've never seen it.

	Later I realized that I only listed the morphologic features of
the cyst. The troph is bilaterally symetrical with 2 nuclei, 4 pairs of
flagella and 2 comma shaped parabasal bodies oriented transverse to the midline
formed by the axoneme which pass through the troph to become
the posterior pair of flagella. The ventral sucking disk is evident on a
profile view of the troph.

 A true protozoologist may have more to add to this as I don't often seen
trophs, hence my diagnostic bias toward the cyst stage.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   When you don't know where you're
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   going any road will take you there.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                            Alice