growing giardia

Stephen B. Aley aley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 14 11:24:35 EST 1994

KSROSTAND at bmg.bhs.uab.edu writes:

>I am just learning to work with giardia intestinalis and would like to
>know if it is possible to include ANY antibiotic in the culture. Also.
>is there an informative manual or text about the practicalities of
>working with giardia?

In general it's better to culture giardia w/o antibiotics, as a low level
(slow growing) contamination can go unnoticed in their presence.  But
you can use one of several in a pinch.

We used the following in a pinch (in modified Diamonds TYI)

	Piperacillin   add 18 ml water to 2 gm vial,
			(either sterile addition, or filter)
			--> 200 x ABx

	Amikacin (-kasin?) can also be used, but I don't have
		the stock solution details near my terminal.

If you have any wpecific questions, fell free to email me at
			saley at ucsd.edu
(sorry about the typos -- sprained a finger rock climbing this weekend!
							-- Steve