Host diet vs Parasite compositon

asb7223 at okway.okstate.edu asb7223 at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 18 17:15:28 EST 1994

I was wondering if anyone had knowledge about any work that has been done
 whereby the parasites' body composition has been affected by the host's diet?

We recently performed an experiment in which guinea pigs were fed diets
differing in fat composition (coconut oil, fish oil and safflower oil).
The lone star ticks that were fed on these hosts had salivary glands with
profoundly altered fatty acid compostions.

Are there any similar reports with any parasite model? (ectoparasites/ intrnal
parasites; on hosts or in culture?).

Any information would be much appreciated.

		Alan Bowman