Ascarosides

DARBEN at MELIA.QUT.EDU.AU DARBEN at MELIA.QUT.EDU.AU
Fri Oct 14 18:57:25 EST 1994

Here's one from the vaults . . . In the late 1950's, a group of French
researchers (Claudine Fouquey, et al) published a number of papers where
they finally elucidated the structure of Faure-Fremiet's "ascaryl
alcohol", the lipid extracted from the eggs and female reproductive tract
of ascarid nematodes. These were a group of three basic glycosidic
structures which they named ascarosides A, B and C. The chemistry in these
papers is fairly solid, and subsequent authors, such as Jezyk and
Fairbairn expanded the work, showing that the TLC moieties identified as
ascarosides A, B and C were mixtures of similar substances, with
variations in chain length of glycones, etc. However, in 1973, Tarr and
Schnoes published work which disagreed with the placement of the second
hydroxyl group/glycosidic linkage in ascarosides B and C. Fouquey et al
placed this at carbon 6, whilst the later authors placed it on the
penultimate carbon, thus making the molecule symmetrical. My question
(finally) is : has any subsequent work been done to confirm either the
Fouquey, et al structure or the Tarr and Schnoes model. Both are
reasonably solid pieces of work. Thanks for any replies.
    ____                             _________
   /    \                           /  _____  \
  //     >                         /  /     \  \
 //                               /  /       \  \        ^

Peter Darben
QUT, Brisbane, Queensland, Oz
Still making the world safe from pigworms