Sandpit Parasites

Matt Rognlie uvsmr at
Thu Apr 27 07:51:36 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9504271809.E17552-0100000 at>, DARBEN at REDASH.QUT.EDU.AU writes:
>Sometime last year, a person wrote to this group requesting info on
>parasites from children's sandpits. Having conveniently forgotten any
>subsequent discussion, I am now confronted with helping a student who is
>undertaking such a project. The project is for a public health course and so is
>relatively simple, with a strong public education bias. I can help her
>with basic parasitology - identification, concentration techniques,
>literature searches, etc, but I would greatly appreciate any advice
>anyone could give me - no piece of info too small or trivial
>Thanks to all who can help
>Peter Darben

Check out "Measures to control _Toxocara_ egg contamination in sandpits of
public parks", S. Uga and N. Kataoka, the American Journal of Tropical Medicine
and Hygiene, January, 1995, 52(1):21-24.  This has some startling information
on pet fecal deposits in sandboxes.  After reading this, its the last time I
visit a public park!

Good Luck

Matthew Rognlie                  |
Veterinary Molecular Biology     | uvsmr at
Marsh Laboratories               | phone: 406-994-6379
Montana State University         |   FAX: 406-994-4303
Bozeman, MT  59717-0360          |