Sandpit Parasites

Steve G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Thu Apr 27 09:14:22 EST 1995

Peter:
	The main problems facing children and their sandboxes comes from
dogs and cats who find the sandbox a convenient place to defecacte.  The
bigger problem is most likely cats. They can leave oocyts of _Toxoplasma
gondii_, and eggs of _Toxocara cati_ and all the cat tapeworms.  Dogs
will leave hookworm eggs (causing cutaneous larva migrans), _Toxocara
canis_ eggs (causing visceral larva migrans), and possibly
_Strongyloides_ larvae.  Thus, it is best to keep all pets away from the
sandbox because the toddler aged child who would typically play in a
sandbox is also likely to transmit these hand-to-mouth adapted organisms.

Best Wishes for the project.

	Steve Kayes