info needed

Becky Norum bnorum at lynx.dac.neu.edu
Sun Apr 30 12:38:11 EST 1995

MissAndree (missandree at aol.com) wrote:
: I recently came back from Guatemala (or should I say, *we* recently...)
: with giardias, amoebas (cystic?) as well as worms. What I would like to
: know is: are giardias amoebas, or an entirely different parasite? Do you
: get all of these from water (which I tried to avoid,) or do you get them
: from food, dirt, etc.
: I would appreciate any help offered...

This is what I have picked up in my Parasitology class:
A-  Giardia and amoebas are different.
B-  The only amoeba of real significance in humans is Entamoeba histolytica.
C-  Classification
	1-  Both are in:
		a-  Kingdom Protista
		b-  Subkingdom Protozoa
		c-  Phylum Sarcomastigophora
	2-  Entamoeba histolytica
		a-  Subphylum Sarcodina  (Amoebas)
	3-  Giardia
		a-  Subphylum Mastigophora (Flagellates)
D-  Entamoeba affects the large intestine, Giardia the small intestine
E-  Both are geneally passed on through the water supply, infected
generally through feces.

(Giardia is really cute under the microscope-- it looks like a grumpy
old man  :)  too bad it isn't really benign!)  I'd draw it for you if I
could on this computer screen, but....

Look up a Parasitology book in your local library... they are
fascinating!

--
Becky Lynn
bnorum at lynx.dac.neu.edu