Worms

RKELLY.remote.ualberta.ca n/a
Tue Aug 1 01:22:30 EST 1995

>By and large tapeworms do NOT cause pruritis when they pass and they of
>course do not fit the previous description.  It sounds most likely that
>they are either whip or threadworms, _Trichuris trichiura_ or the ever
>present pinworm _Enterobius vermicularis_.  Neither of these criters can
>be associated with undercooked red meat.  They both are considered soil
>transmitted parasites (E.v. is a socially althought not necessarily
>sexually transmitted infection.  You usually self cure from E.v. after a
>few rounds of the life cycle and the itching is very characteristics.  It
>is not usually treated unless sleeploss or pruritis are compelling.  T.t.
>may survive for years although the passage of worms in the stool is not
>that frequent of an occurence (as was suggested by this case).  This
>infection can also be treated by a physician and should respond
>reasonably well.

Is there anything I can ingest, (i.e. common household acids)  <smile>
like certain foods that will reduce their ability to survive, and / or
reduce their activity level?  What is the procedure, when going to see
a physician?  I don't see how I could have managed to get the parasite.

EV:  How long approximately could this last?  I mean, it can die down
     completely for almost a month or more, and then it is back with
     _major_ pruritis.

Where do these critters reside?  I would assume that they are both relatively
similar, or have some similar characteristics.  Any idea how long a single
"one" of these can live for?  How do they cause the pruritis?  Biting?
Is there anywhere on the net I can go for any further information?  Any public
domain documentation?  I do have major sleep problems, but don't think it is
related.  (Would it be something I wasn't conscious of (too many nutrients
being removed?) Or would it simply be lost sleep due to uncomfortability?)
I believe I have had these five years approximately.  Very surprised I even
discovered them..  I am very surprised I haven't done anything about it, either.
Can they be transmitted through semen?  (could I give this to my girlfriend?)

Major concerns.
.
.
.

>        Steve Kayes

Thank you once again for your priceless time.

				Mike