Need info - bugs on the eyelid

Leslie Goldberg ez043404 at dale.ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 29 14:36:52 EST 1995

I dont know what they might be, but they are NOT Demodex.  Demodex are
really tiny, and cannot be seen by the naked eye.  They live in your
sebaceous glands, and live off of the oils secreted.  Demodex wouldnt be
seen crawling around on someones eyelids.
Anyhow- Good luck in figuring it all out!
leslie

: These sound like mange mites to me. Don't panic, it's not as bad as
: it sounds! They are likely to be of the genus Demodex (fellow
:  parasitologists correct me if I'm wrong) or Sarcoptes (causes scabies).
:  I have a
:  feeling that Ivermectin can be used to treat this. Ivermectin is a
: broad-spectrum anti-parasitic which deals with  ticks, mites and some
: worms. As far as I know, no-one's quite sure how it works, but it's
: commonly used in agriculture. If they are
: Demodex mites, you can content yourself with the knowledge that almost
: everyone has got these things (apparently). They live in facial hair
: follicles and normally do no harm. While the dermatologist is likely
:  to come up with the answer, you would probably be quicker asking a
: vet. Either way,  the infection is treatable. I hope this has been of
: some help.
: Good luck
: James F. Munro
: Department of Public Health