Hymenolepis nana cultures

Marion Macnish macnish at numbat.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Dec 8 02:47:27 EST 1995

Hi,

My name is Marion Macnish.  I am a PhD student at Murdoch University,
Perth, Western Australia.  I am studying the gastro-intestinal parasite
Hymenolepis nana in humans.

Presently I am collecting samples from individuals living in the
Kimberley region of Western Australia, however I have not been
successful in establishing an H. nana infection to adult worm stage in
laboratory mice.

As a reference point I would like to passage a well established
laboratory strain of H. nana through mice to see if the conditions I am
using are suitable, and also to help establish reasons why H. nana
infection has not yet been successful in a mouse model using the
samples from the Kimberleys.  If anyone has an established strain of H.
nana and are willing to send me some viable eggs / adult worms I would
be most grateful.  Finally if anyone anyone is routinely isolating H.
nana eggs from human faeces could you let me know which extraction
method you are using.  I am currently using a saturated NaCl method
(reference Marietta & Voge Eds. Experiments and techniques in
Parasitology, WH Freeman & Co., San Francisco, 1970)
Marion Macnish (email: macnish at numbat.murdoch.edu.au)