Where'd everybody go?

Joachim Dagg joaccigh at w250zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 3 14:52:17 EST 1995

Rereading my last post, I realized, it might be seriously
misunderstood. Of course I know that parasitic protists, protists and
parasits are not monophyletic. And of course I could tell it's because
for example mites build a monophylum with the rest of arachnids or
choanoflagellats are probably nearer relatives to metazoa then to
other protists. And the same counts for parasitic protists beeing no
monophylum. But I'd have a hard time arguing for that, because I only
heard the funeral bells ring for protistean groups like ciliats,
amoeba and so on. But I haven't been godfather to groups like
apicomplexa etc.. You see what I mean, not beeing an expert? I can't
just say, parasitic protists are no monophylum, because plasmodium
falciparum builds a monophylum with the other ciliats. Ciliats just
might not be with us anymore. And I don't know the new names. Yes
damn, I missed the most thrilling thing happening in phylogeny the
last few years!
But maybe Mark wants to give us a quick brainstorming.
Joachim