definition

derek a. zelmer zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU
Fri Feb 10 10:19:35 EST 1995

Due to recent (sometimes violent) discussions I have been involved in, I
would like to get some opinions on a question of basic philosophy...what
is a parasite? Are they always overdispersed? Does there have to be a
nutritional dependence of the adult on the host? Should parasitoids be
included, or does obligate host death preclude parasitism? etc, etc....I am
curious as to how narrow or broad the current viewpoints are, for example
a colleague of mine considers grazing herbivores to be parasitic. I think
he's daft. Touch gloves and come out swinging.

			Derek A. Zelmer