Apical complex?

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:17:21 EST 1995

In Article <3he74h$76q at newsbf02.news.aol.com>
jonlester at aol.com (Jon Lester) writes:
>My copy  of Schmitt & Roberts *Foundations of Parasitology* (4th ed.)  was
>published in 1986.  At the time not much was known about the function of
>the apical complex.  Could anyone point me to any newer information
>regarding the apical complex.  Any information would be appreciated.

	Apparently, the function of the apical complex is still poorly
understood.  Most seem to believe that it is involved in penetration
of the host cells.  Seems like there was a paper in Parasit Today a couple
of years ago.  I believe, perhaps erroneously, that someone said that there
is a secretory product synthesized by the apical complex and this assists
intercellular penetration.  You might contact David Lindsay @ Auburn because
he stays up on this sort of stuff.  Perhaps he'll see this post an choose to
reply, if only to straighten me out. Good luck.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   When you don't know where you're
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   going any road will take you there.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                            Alice