trichinosis

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Sun Feb 19 08:04:57 EST 1995

In Article <Pine.3.88.9502171055.A1015-0100000 at sungcg.usouthal.edu>
kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU ("Steve G. Kayes") writes:

>	Third, the US does not inspect pork for the presence of T.
>spiralis and thus, we can not export our pork to the rest of the world
>(or at least to the majority of nations that do inspect).

	This issue has become extremely important to pork producers
 recently because of the declining prices in the industry.  They figure that
the market in the USA is largely filled to capacity because people are
only going to consume so much meat whether its chicken, beef, or pork.
They are now looking to overseas markets, but need to export Trichinella
free pigs.  Development of a parasite (Trichinella, Toxoplasma) free product
is a major issue and I expect we will see more attention paid to development
of diagnostic assays that can be employed quickly, and cheaply in the
slaughter house context.

>	But the leading contributory cause of the high T. spiralis
>incidence in the US is the small, private slaughter houses that make
>venison sausage by grinding in locally slaughter pork with fresh
>venison.

	Single, Schantz, and Werner (Am Jour Trop Med Hyg 25:675-681)
reported an outbreak of Trichinois that was attributed to pork contaminated
meat grinding equipment. All of the infected persons had eaten beef hamburger
which was cooked less than adequately to kill the bug.  In our culture, we
have grown up with the tradition of cooking pork well, and there is little
risk of infection. However, we typically prefer our beef anywhere from
well cooke to rare.  The percieved risk of infection from beef was almost nill
until the "Jack in a Box" E.coli outbreak several years ago.  The study above
indicates, that (1) Trichinella can be obtained from a food source that
is not readily percieved to be infectious, (2)  our cultural biases about
how different meats ought to be cooked is an important risk factor for
understanding the occurence of infection within and between different
societies.   Katherine Prestwood addressed this point in Asian communites
in an earlier post.  Perhaps she will post the references for some of these
examples.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   When you don't know where you're
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   going any road will take you there.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                            Alice