Definitions and semantics

Mark Siddall mes at
Sun Feb 19 17:08:30 EST 1995

Given all of the recent to-and-fro-ing perhaps I should just rest my case!
Before doing so consider the following:

"The name of the song is called 'Haddocks Eyes'"
"Oh, that's the name of the song, is it?"  Alice said, trying to feel
"No, you don't understand." the Knight said, looking a little vexed.
"That's what the name is _called_.  The real name is 'The Aged Aged Man'"
"Then I ought to have said 'That's what the _song_ is called?" Alice
corrected herself.
"No, you oughtn't: that's quite another thing!  The song is _called_
'Ways and Means': but that's only what it's _called_, you know!"
"Well, what _is_ the song then?" said Alice, who by this time was
completely bewildered.
"I was coming to that." the Knight said -

                        -- Carroll, 1871

mes at                    I object to a cut-rate one"
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062