trichinosis

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Tue Feb 21 03:24:58 EST 1995

In Article <7956DA74182 at calc.vet.uga.edu>
PRESTWOOD.A at CALC.VET.UGA.EDU writes:
>We conducted a serologic survey of swine in the state of Georgia for
>a number of years using repetitive ELISA as a discovery test and the
>Western Blot as a confirmatory test.  About 40,000 samples were
>studied and we found less than one-half percent swine to be infected.

	Have there been additional studies to investigate the
relationship between seropositivity and infectivity. In other words what is the
probability of obtaining an infection from eating pork tenderloin (or another
eatable tissue) from a seropositive pig?

 Also was there an age related pattern of infection in the population. Were
older sows more likely to be infected than younger grow-finishers?

> These large outbreaks
>are unusual since the pork products sold primarily in our supermarket
>chains are virtually free of the parasite.

	Are there published studies of Trichinella prevealnce in eatable
tissues purchsed from supermarkets?  Which tissues are more likely to contain
the parasite ? This would be an interesting study if it has not been done.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   When you don't know where you're
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   going any road will take you there.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                            Alice