Leishmania

john janovy jjanovy at unlinfo.unl.edu
Tue Feb 21 22:37:10 EST 1995

aager at MEDNET.MED.MIAMI.EDU wrote:
:      With regards to leishmanial organisms, has anyone heard of any
:      congenital transmission of the visceral form in a rodent model?
:      We are aware of two publications with respect to human congenital
:      transmission; Lowe&Cooke 1929, and Jour.of Communicable Diseases 1987
:      June.      THANK YOU!
:                                            Luis Elizondo

This is really a fairly interesting question whose answer may lie in
the history of science (although admittedly I've not scoured the
leishmanial literature in a serious fashion for several years).  By
that I mean scientists' uses of infected animals may have precluded
investigation of vertical transmission, at least in a serious way.
Certainly hamsters can exhibit very heavy infections with amastigotes
in the gall bladder and a variety of other typically unreported
places, and so transplacental infection seems likely.  Cotton rats
might be a good host to try some vertical transmission studies with;
they seem to carry a very heavy infection without all of the pathology
one sees in hamsters.  Years ago we had good luck breeding cotton
rats by putting male and female together in a cage with a coffee can
with cotton in it, and leaving the can and cotton in after removing
the male (usually after three or four days).  That way the female had
a place to hide and could build a nest.

John Janovy, Jr.
Bio Sci  Univ Nebr-Lincoln
jjanovy at unLinfo.unL.edu