trichinellosis

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Thu Feb 23 04:35:06 EST 1995

In Article <7F599CC362F at calc.vet.uga.edu>
PRESTWOOD.A at CALC.VET.UGA.EDU writes:

>digesting the entire diaphragm, we recovered larvae from only 3 sows.
> They harbored, 1, 1, and 2 in the entire diaphragm.  What does this
>mean?  I am uncertain.

	I have heard, anecdotaly, that acquision of Trichinella is much
more common than many believe.  The difference between now, and previous
times is that people don't die from it, or present with serious clinical
disease.  Presumably, this may be related to the size of the innoculum, as
some of your work suggests. Perhaps someone has some information on the numbers
of human cases and their clinical presentations for posting to the group.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   When you don't know where you're
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   going any road will take you there.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                            Alice