Sylvatic T. cruzi

CGE at CU.NIH.GOV CGE at CU.NIH.GOV
Thu Feb 23 10:10:56 EST 1995

I posted the following request almost a year ago not long after
this group started. As I did not receive much feedback at the
time I thought I'd try again, since many more people appear to be
participating now.

Trypanosoma cruzi infections are not uncommon in a number
of wild mammal species in the southern United States, most often
opossums and raccoons with up to 25% being infected in some areas.
The northernmost published record of this parasite is from raccoons
in Maryland but it has been reported in almost all states below a
line stretching from California through Utah, Oklahoma, Alabama and
North Carolina.

My question is: is this is truly the northernmost limit for
the parasite? Or is it only that no one has looked for it north
of there? Any feedback, even negative results, would be of interest.

Thanks.

Graham
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases,