Parasitology reference text

john janovy jjanovy at unlinfo.unl.edu
Mon Feb 27 20:58:57 EST 1995

James Mahaffy (mahaffy at CC.DORDT.EDU) wrote:
: Folks:

:      I teach Zoology each Spring.  I like parasites and try and
: give a little emphasis to them in the course.  For much of my
: background I use Foundations of Parasitology by Schmidt and
: Roberts (4th ed. 1989).  I really like it because it is very easy
: to read and seems to be pretty up to date.  However, five years
: is a bit old, and I noticed there is no 5th edition (at least
: yet).  Is there any other more recent text that you would
: recommend that would provide interesting tidbits to add to the
: course.   I took a look at books in print, but there appear to be
: a lot of texts, and you can't tell from the title how well
: written or good a book it is. I am not interested in a technical
: manual, but a good solid book with lots of interesting tidbits
: (which is one thing that makes parasites interesting).
: Thanks for any feedback.
: --
: :
: James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu
: Biology Department                 phone: 712 722-6279
: Dordt College                      FAX 712 722-1198
: Sioux Center, Iowa 51250

James - hang in there.  The fifth edition of FOUNDATIONS is in page
proof stage and is due out in August.

John Janovy, Jr.
Bio Sci, Univ Nebr-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0118