Novels or biographies to excite parasit. students

Randy Read rndy at wimsey.mmid.ualberta.ca
Thu Jan 5 18:25:15 EST 1995

In article <mlankest.1.00E43664 at lakeheadu.ca> mlankest at lakeheadu.ca writes:
> Picking up on an idea used by a teacher at Miami U., I'd like to build a list
> of novels, biographies, etc. that may be less technical but use creative
> writing skills to bring out the excitement of discovery , intellectual
> gymnastics, and human side of the lives of people in relation to disease and
> parasitological research.

Perhaps this isn't quite what you have in mind (and you probably know it
already), but I really like "New Guinea Tapeworms and Jewish Grandmothers", by
Robert S. Desowitz.  For those who haven't read it, it contains a number of
anecdotes about Desowitz's experiences, with a particular emphasis on how human
behaviour influences susceptibility to parasites.  Parts of it are extremely
funny, which can get the attention of the students.

Randy Read
rndy at mycroft.mmid.ualberta.ca