predators of cercaria

derek a. zelmer zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU
Mon Jan 9 09:23:59 EST 1995

>HI!  Does anybody know if there is a body of literature out there on
>vertebrate or invertebrate predation on cercariae?  I am particularly
>interested in species where the predator is NOT serving as a second
>intermediate host.  I am interested in reading about the impact of
>unsuitable host species on cercarial abundance in a field (or lab)
>system.  The only study that I have seen is from the 1960's by Rowan
>working on Puerto Rican schistosomes.  Any info or help would be much
>appreciated!

In regards to Theresa Stevens inquiry, there is a section in a paper by
C. Combes, A Fournier, H. Mone, and A. Theron (1994. Behaviors in
trematode cercariae that enhance parasite transmission: patterns and
processes. Parasitology 109:S3-S13) on page S8 that deals with the
selective pressures associated with the predation of cercaria by non-host
species. - Derek A. Zelmer