what is locke's solution

Peter W Pappas ppappas at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 12 14:07:02 EST 1995

In article <3f3d7b$860 at news.tamu.edu>,
Richard E. Clopton <septate at tam2000.tamu.edu> wrote:
>Caron.Johnson (Johnson at zoology.unp.ac.za) wrote:
>: Locke's solution is used as a preservative for metacercariae
>: according to American literature.  What exactly is it?  Is there a recipe
>: for it?  If one buys it already madeup, where would I purchase it?  Any
>: information regarding Locke's solution would be appreciated.
>

>Locke's Solution is a fairly common (or used to be) saline used to prepare
>fresh material for live study (or to simply hold live material for
>experimental purposes).  I suppose you could call it a preservative in that
>it preserves the life in living specimens, but it certainly doesn't have
>
>Locke's solution is (or used to be) a fairly common saline used to
>prepare wet mounts of living material or to simply hold living material
>for experimental or culturing purposes.  I'm not sure what you mean by
>"preservative" here, but Locke's Solution (at least the forms I am
>familiar with) has no fixation property.  It could be used to hold
>metacercariae until the relax, at which point another fixative solution
>could be used, but simply left in Locke's Solution, dead tissue will decay.
>
>Formula:
>
>LOCKE'S SOLUTION
>
>Sodium Chloride...................9 gm
>Potassium Chloride................0.42 gm
>Calcium Chloride, anhydrous.......0.24 gm
>Sodium Bicarbonate................0.2 gm
>Distilled Water................1000 ml
>
>Dissolve the calcium chloride last.  The solution does not keep well and
>must NOT be boiled.  If sterilization is necessary, this should be done
>by filtration.
>
>There are several slight variations of Locke's Solution, but none that
>are significantly different (that I know of).  Some other parasitologist
>out there might know of a Locke's Fixative . . .
>
>Good Luck,
>
>Rich
>
>--
>=--= =- =-= =- === == - --- =-== --- --= -=-- =-= ==- =-== = ===
>R. E. Clopton           "Let me be the Carolus Linnaeus of this
>Dept. of Entomology      world, bearing no more than specimen
>Texas A&M University     boxes, botanical canister, hand lens,
>septate at tam2000.tamu.edu notebooks, but allowed not years but
>                         centuries of time."  - E. O. Wilson

The formula I have is similar to that listed above, but includes glucose (1
g/liter), and recommends decreasing NaCl to 65 g/liter for cold-blooded
vertebrates (like university administrators) (see Humason, G.L., 1979, Animal
Tissue Techniques, 4th ed., W.H. Freeman and Co).
--
Peter W. Pappas, Professor/Chairperson, Department of Zoology,
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH  43210  USA