Echinococcus eggs

bi_vac at LEWIS.UMT.EDU bi_vac at LEWIS.UMT.EDU
Tue Jul 18 22:13:19 EST 1995

Hi. Does anyone know of any documented cases of Echinococcus eggs being
aerosoled from canid scats?  I've been asked this question by a person
who has analysed the contents of over 3000 wolf scats from Canada and have advised
him to autoclave his samples.  Also, he has samples shipped via UPS from the
field - any health problems here that anyone knows about.  I am only aware
of anecdotal cases of hydatidosis being contracted from collected scats and
would be interested in knowing if there are confirmed cases.  Any help would
be appreciated.  Thanks.

Vince Connors
Division of Biological Sciences
University of Montana