Echinococcus eggs

David Green dgreen at sbsnov1.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jul 20 01:01:17 EST 1995

In article <95071821043575 at lewis.umt.edu>, bi_vac at LEWIS.UMT.EDU wrote:

> Hi. Does anyone know of any documented cases of Echinococcus eggs being
> aerosoled from canid scats?  I've been asked this question by a person
> who has analysed the contents of over 3000 wolf scats from Canada and
have advised
> him to autoclave his samples.  Also, he has samples shipped via UPS from the
> field - any health problems here that anyone knows about.  I am only aware
> of anecdotal cases of hydatidosis being contracted from collected scats and
> would be interested in knowing if there are confirmed cases.  Any help would
> be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Vince Connors
> Division of Biological Sciences
> University of Montana

The last edition of <Parasitologie> Parey 1992 (ed Eckert et al.) says
that people like hunters or fur preparators who work with furs of Foxes
should wear masks to protect themselves of Echinococcus eggs. The authors
of this book must apparentely know cases of airborne echinococcosis. It
would be the best idea to ask Prof J Eckert, Institut f. Parasitologie d.
Universitaet Zuerich, Winterthurerstr. 266, 8057 Zuerich in Switzerland
for further advice. He is one of the experts on E. granulosus
 cheers

Walter Regli
environmental Microbiology
University of Auckland NZ