Echinococcus eggs

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Thu Jul 20 08:39:53 EST 1995

On 18 Jul 1995 bi_vac at LEWIS.UMT.EDU wrote:

> Hi. Does anyone know of any documented cases of Echinococcus eggs being
> aerosoled from canid scats?  I've been asked this question by a person
> who has analysed the contents of over 3000 wolf scats from Canada and have advised
> him to autoclave his samples.  Also, he has samples shipped via UPS from the
> field - any health problems here that anyone knows about.  I am only aware
> of anecdotal cases of hydatidosis being contracted from collected scats and
> would be interested in knowing if there are confirmed cases.  Any help would
> be appreciated.  Thanks.

	Why is he not using plug sealed transport containers filled with
10% BNF?  This would reduce the zoonotic risk considerably.   Given that
Ascaris eggs are commonly  aerosolized and infections transmitted to
laboratory workers, this possibility would not be surprizing.  Is the analyst
wearing gloves and mixing up the samples in a Class 2 Biosafety cabinet...
if not he (she) should be.  Please recommend the CDC/NIH book on biosafety
in microbiological laboratories to your client.  Its good reading for all
wildlife biologists engaged in research with infectious materials. Good
luck!!!

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   Get your facts first and then you
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   can distort them as much as you please.
*   (ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu)     *                   Mark Twain