Worms

Stephen G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Mon Jul 31 12:00:02 EST 1995

By and large tapeworms do NOT cause pruritis when they pass and they of
course do not fit the previous description.  It sounds most likely that
they are either whip or threadworms, _Trichuris trichiura_ or the ever
present pinworm _Enterobius vermicularis_.  Neither of these criters can
be associated with undercooked red meat.  They both are considered soil
transmitted parasites (E.v. is a socially althought not necessarily
sexually transmitted infection.  You usually self cure from E.v. after a
few rounds of the life cycle and the itching is very characteristics.  It
is not usually treated unless sleeploss or pruritis are compelling.  T.t.
may survive for years although the passage of worms in the stool is not
that frequent of an occurence (as was suggested by this case).  This
infection can also be treated by a physician and should respond
reasonably well.

	BTW, Yomesan is the same drug as niclosamide.  Taenia infections
do come from the consumption of raw meat as suggested by Francois, but
the case is not really consistent.  Further, there are many other
parasitic infections that can be aquired by eating raw or undercooked
meat.  Many are far worse than those already considered.  However, as a
devout and confirmed carnivore, I say know your prey, prepare it
adequately and pass the Worcestershire sauce.

	Steve Kayes
    /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/ ! Structural & Cellular Biology !
   /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/  ! University of South Alabama   !
 \/------\/ /\-----/\/ /\/      /\/       Office:  (334) 460-6768 NEW AC