Ratites

Graham Clark Graham_Clark at d4.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Fri Jun 9 12:58:23 EST 1995

While I don't know a lot about ratites, I have been working for
the past 6 years on Entamoeba and other intestinal protozoa. There have
been sporadic reports of Entamoeba and Endolimax in birds over the
years, but none are known to cause any problems. Of course, even normally
benign parasites can cause problems when present at high population
densities. The species I know of in birds are: Entamoeba anatis in ducks
(a 4-nucleated cyst producer), Entamoeba gallinarum in chicken and turkey
(an 8-nucleated cyst producer), and Endolimax gregariniformis in turkey
chicken and guineafowl. The reference I have for these species (which
lists the original descriptions etc.) is:
C.A. Hoare (1959) Amoebic infections in animals. Veterinary Reviews and
Annotations Vol. 5, Part 2, pp91-102

I know of no reports of amebae in ratites and I would be very interested
in seeing some of the material if it is at all possible. Although I
have had material from frogs, turtles and a variety of mammals I have
never found a bird that was infected. If anyone else out there comes
across one please let me know!

Graham
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases,