worms in tequila

Steve G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Mon Jun 12 10:24:11 EST 1995

As one who has worked extensively with Toxocara canis, the ascarid of
dogs, I have had ample experience working with the eggs.  When I have
removed the eggs from the reproductive tissues, I wash them for 30 min in
1 N NaOH.  Then following a rinse in tap water, they are allowed to
embryonate in 0.1 N H2SO4 for 30 days at room temp.  Some people use
formalin in lieu of the acid.  Either way, the egg shell is resistant to
the passage of the active ingredients and the cultures remain pure
because nothing else grows in the solution.  The eggs are then washed in
tap  water prior to using them for infecting lab animals.  BTW, betadyne,
a "tamed" iodine solution works extremely well at penetrating the egg and
killing the larvae within.

	SGK