Worm in tequila

Dr David I. Gibson D.Gibson at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 03:31:39 EST 1995

Does anyone know what type of insect larvae is traditionally placed into
bottles of tequila? Could these larvae act as paratenic hosts for
helminths (particularly Ascaris)?  Can Ascaris eggs remain viable in
alcohol for any length of time?
Thanks,
Brent Dixon

If any one knows the generic name of the 'agave' worm, which inhabits
bottles of mescal, I could check whether we have any records of helminths
which have been recorded from it; though, in view of its origin in a cactus,
I think that this is doubtful.

David Gibson
from
Dr David I. Gibson
Parasitic Worms  Division
Department of Zoology                           Try:
The Natural History Museum                  http://www.nhm.ac.uk/
London SW7 5BD
UK
Tel. +44-(0)171-938-9485