Crypto: safe handling

Graham Vesey GVESEY at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 12 18:07:27 EST 1995

To:            parasite at net.bio.net
From:          wick at cris.com
Subject:       Crypto: safe handling
Date:          29 May 1995 15:10:29 GMT

My lab is just beginning to handle viable Cryptosporidium oocysts. I would like to generate a standard procedure for the safe handling
of crypto, methods for decontaminating surfaces and how to handle the generated waste. Any input from those of you experienced
with this organism would be greately appreciated. Please note, this method must be in place before I can begin any of my
experiements.

Jim Wick

E-Mail	wick at cris.com	 	"Don't precipitate more than
Mail:	5520 W. Burleigh St.	  you can resuspend."
	Milwaukee, WI 52310
Phone	414-871-7199
FAX	414-871-1273

Jim,
Decontaminate spills with 4% ammonia (it makes your eyes stream and your
nose run but it kills oocysts).  Autoclave all waste.

Try to use heat inactivated (80 C for 10 min) instaed of live oocysts
where ever possible.

Have fun.

Graham Vesey
Australian Environmental Flow Cytometry Group
School of Biological Sciences,     .-.--:_:\
Macquarie University,            _/         \
Sydney,                         :   AEFCG    |
Australia NSW 2109.             \_          /
Tel- 612 850 8150                 '-''''\__/
Fax- 612 850 8174                        V