lentivirus in a pathogen-free environment

Steve G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Tue Jun 27 10:53:56 EST 1995

Franck:

	I would assume that your cats on the isolated island would most
likely still develop feline leukemia/feline AIDS and ultimately die.  The
problem as extrapolated from human disease is that when the host loses
the use of the their own immune system opportunistic organsims, often
from their own flora and fauna become pathogens.  I seem to remember a
_Toxoplasma_ experiment from graduate school in which normal rats were
dosed with corticosteroids and all came down with the infection even in a
suppossedly clean animal facility.  Thus, unless your cats were specific
pathogen free or cleaner, even on the isolated island, they will
ultimately get sick.  Thats my two cents worth.

    /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/ ! Structural & Cellular Biology !
   /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/  ! University of South Alabama   !
 \/------\/ /\-----/\/ /\/      /\/       Office:  (334) 460-6768 NEW AC