parasite slide swap

fbio1125 at altair.selu.edu fbio1125 at altair.selu.edu
Fri Mar 24 16:18:13 EST 1995

The Education Committee of the American Society of Parasitologists is concerned
with the decline in the variety of microscope slides of parasites that are
available from biological supply companies for use in parasitology education.
companies wrote to the Education Committee and expressed an interest in
receiving parasites which they could use for slide preparation.  These
companies were particularly interested in obtaining specimens of parasites of
medical importance.  One company expressed its willingness to purchase
specimens or to provide other slides in exchange for donated specimens.  The
Education Committee urges all parasitologists who have such specimens to
correspond with biological supply companies and do whatever they can to
increase the availability of microscope slides of parasites for use in
parasitology teaching laboratories.

The Education Committee has an additional suggestion to increase the variety of
parasite slides available for teaching parasitology.  We propose the
institution of a Parasite Slide Exchange.  We ask that parasitologists
communicate with one another through this Parasitology Newsgroup and arrange to
exchange microscope slides (or unmounted specimens, etc.) among themselves.  We
believe that this may be of particular value to those parasitologists who teach
General Parasitology courses where non-medically important parasites,
unavailable through supply companies, may be obtained.

To start the ball rolling, I will offer to swap ten mounted specimens of
Alloglossidium greeri (Trematoda: Macroderoididae) a progenetic fluke from the
antennary gland of the Cajun dwarf crayfish, Cambarellus shufeldtii.  In
return, I'll take an equivalent number of slides of any trematode, cestode,
monogene, acanthocephalan, or nematode that you might wish to provide.  I can
also supply a reprint of the species description of A. greeri, and an article
discussing the evolutionary significance of progenesis in Alloglossidium.

Please get in touch with me at:
wffont at selu.edu
William F. Font
Dept. of Biological Sciences