Cryptosporidium

mat bernhardt mbernhar at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 24 23:33:38 EST 1995

In article <3kqis2$qba at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, max1603 at aol.com (Max1603) wrote:

> I work for a bottled water company as a Microbiologist and I need
> information on
> the effects of ozone, UV light, filtration etc. on the oocysts, as well as
> information on filtration.  I have limited experience in parasitology and
> would like to obtain further training---any ideas??
>
> C.Herold
> Phoenix, AZ

to begin with; if you are bottling water that comes from a well, chances
are very close to zero that there will be any crypto present at all.  the
only time that might be a possibility is after the well has been flooded.
even then, conditions have to be quite optimal; for instance a cow barn
containig calves suffering from crypto in close proximity to the well with
run-off from the barn heading towards the well.

as far as the test is concerned.  if you are just starting out, be
prepared to spend about 6-8 hours per sample (this does not include
collection of the sample).  the test is very tedious.  the hardest part
is/will be the microscopic examination.  even though you will be using
fluorescent antibodies to detect the crypto, there will be alot of other
material that mimicks crypto.  the only way to become proficient is to
examine LOTS of slides.  spend lots of time with positive controls and
play around with the objectives on your scope.  keep in mind-the cryptos
you'll see on real life samples will rarely have that "text book"
appearance.  i've done about 700 samples myself over the last 2 years and
to be honest there are times when it could go either way.  the test is
very subjective.  it helps that we have a staff parasitologist on hand...

i realize wisconsin is a long way from arizona, but i can't really see any
reason why we couldn't offer some training if you are interested (i'd have
to check with the higher ups of course).

--
fat elvis
C2F

you pay for love